WNUR’s annual Phoneathon fundraiser runs February 10-16 this year. Your support helps the all volunteer staff of WNUR bring you the kind of music you won’t hear elswhere.
Author Archives: Flavian
A Holiday Feast
Too many details from the playlist for 12/23/2011:
- The Wassail Song 2:33 Tanner, Phil Folk 15 of 30 World Library of Folk and Primitive Music, Vol. 1: England Rounder Select – Alan Lomax Collection
- Oy Chanukah, Oy Chanukah 3:03 Klezmer Conservatory Band Klezmer 23 of 23 Oy Chanukah! Rounder / Umgd
- Sandwiches & Brandy 5:01 Moore, Michael / Fred Hersch Jazz 9 of 11 This We Know Palmetto – Michael Moore, cl, as; Fred Hersch, p. Recorded in Haarlem, NL, October 2003
- Rabbits 6:22 The Flatlands Collective Jazz Bishop 7 Gnomade Skycap – Jorrit Dijkstra; Jeb Bishop; Jim Baker; Kent Kessler. Dec 12, 2005
- Cornet Chop Suey 3:08 Armstrong, Louis Jazz 7 of 16 The Hot Fives, Volume 1 Columbia – Louis Armstrong, cornet and vocals; Kid Ory, trombone and vocals; Johnny Dodds, cl and alto; Lil Armstrong, p and vocals; Johnny St. Cyr, banjo; Clarence Babcock, vocals. Recorded 1925-26 in Chicago.
- Hodge Podge 5:16 The Harper Brothers Jazz 2 of 12 Remembrance – Live at the Village Vanguard Verve – Philip Harper, t; Winard Harper, d; Justin Robinson, as; Stephen Scott, p; Kiyoshi Kitagawa, b. “Recorded live direct to two-track digital on Friday and Saturday, September 8 & 9, 1989, at the Village Vanguard.”
- Slop 4:41 Mingus, Charles Jazz 1 of 8 5 of 10 Charles Mingus Columbia Legacy – This is Jazz, vol 6.
- Salt 2:20 Bolleter, Ross Jazz 3 of 14 Night Kitchen: An Hour of Ruined Piano Emanem
- Red Hot Pepper Stomp – Jelly Roll Morton & His Hot Peppers 3:10 Morton, Jelly Roll Jazz 18 of 23 Jelly Roll Morton – Doctor Jazz Bluebird
- Cookin’ 3:16 Brown, Clifford Jazz Lou Donaldson 1 of 4 5 of 18 The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings Blue Note / Pacific Jazz
- One Mint Julep 3:07 Charles, Ray Jazz 3 of 17 Berlin 1962 Pablo. 6 March 1962. With: Marcus Belgrave, Wallace Davenport, Hank Crawford, Rudy Powwell, David Newman, Don Wilkerson, Leroy Cooper, Sonny Forrest, Edgar Willis…
- Scotch & Soul 5:06 Harley, Rufus Jazz 3 of 9 The Pied Piper Of Jazz Label M
- Black & Tan Fantasy 4:53 Iyer, Vijay Jazz 1 of 1 4 of 11 Solo ACT – 16-17 May 2010, OTR Studios, Belmont CA
- Gin for Christmas 2:31 Hampton, Lionel Jazz Lionel Hampton 5 Tempo and Swing: The All-Star Groups, Vol. 3 (1939-40) Bluebird
- Everybody Eats When They Come To My House 2:47 Calloway, Cab Jazz Jeannie Burns 1 of 1 4 of 22 Are You Hep To The Jive? Columbia/Legacy
- Hold Tight (Want Some Sea Food, Mama) 2:16 Waller, Fats Jazz Lenny Kent-Dick Brandow-George Robinson-Leonard Ware-Willie Spottswood 2 of 3 9 of 22 A Good Man Is Hard to Find: the Middle Years, Part 2 (1938-40) Bluebird
- Shrimp And Gumbo 2:37 Rebirth Brass Band Jazz 1 of 1 9 of 11 Rebirth Of New Orleans Basin Street –
- The Lobster Parade 5:56 Microscopic Septet Jazz Forrester 2 of 2 1 of 11 Seven Men in Neckties: History of the Micros, Vol. 1 Cuneiform – Philip Johnston, ss; Don Davis, as; Paul Shapiro, ts; Dave Sewelson, bari; Joel Forrester, p; Dave Hofstra, b, tub; Richard Dworkin, d. From Take the Z Train (1983), Let’s Flip! (1985)
- Wilted Salad In the Parlor 6:23 Dutz, Brad Jazz 11 of 14 Obliteration Percussion Quartet s/r – Brad Dutz, Dan Morris, John Holmes, Joseph Berardi. Recorded 7/99 – 8/01
- Carvin’ The Bird 2:47 Parker, Charlie Jazz McGhee 1 of 4 25 of 26 Boss Bird (Studio Recordings 1944 – 1951): Ornithology Proper Records
- Ain’t The Gravy Good? 3:13 Cootie Williams & His Rug Cutters Jazz D. Heywood 2 of 2 17 of 21 The Duke’s Men: Small Groups, Vol. 2 1938 – 1939 Columbia Jazz Masterpieces
- Tulip or Turnip (Tell Me, Tell Me, Dream Face) 3:07 Ellington, Duke Jazz Don George/Duke Ellington 8 Happy Birthday, Duke! the Birthday Sessions, Vol. 4 Laserlight – April 29th birthday sessions, 1953 and 1954 at McElroy’s Ballroom in Portland, OR.
- Sno’ Peas 5:56 Evans, Bill Jazz Phil Markowitz 1 of 1 2 of 9 Affinity Warner Bros. – Bill Evans, p, el. p; Toots Thielemans,harm.; Larry Schneider ts, ss, fl; Marc Johnson, b; Eliot Zigmund, d. Oct 30, 1978-Nov 2, 1978
- 18 Carrots For Baby Rabbit 5:17 Mulligan, Gerry Jazz 4 of 10 The Silver Collection: Gerry Mulligan Meets The Saxophonists Verve – Tracks 1-2 with Ben Webster, 3-4 with Johnny Hodges, 5-6 with Zoot Simms, 7-8 with Stan Getz, 9-10 with Paul Desmond.
- Cheese Cake 6:34 Gordon, Dexter Jazz Dexter Gordon 1 of 1 1 of 6 Go! Blue Note – Dexter Gordon, tx; Sonny Clark, p; Butch Warren, b; Billy Higgins, d. Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 27 Aug 1962.
- Pound Cake 2:44 Basie, Count Jazz 15 of 16 The Essential Count Basie, Volume 1 Jazz ensembles and big band music featuring Count Basie, piano and organ; in part with vocals. Recorded 1936 (1st work) and 1939 (remainder).
- Pine Apple Rag (1908) 4:00 Zimmerman, Richard Ragtime 4 of 5 4 of 14 The Complete Works of Scott Joplin Vol. 4 Music first published 1895-1902. LaserLight, p1993.
- Peaches 2:38 Cole, Nat “King” Jazz Terry Gibbs 1 of 1 18 of 18 The Best Of The Nat King Cole Trio: The Instrumental Classics Capitol – Nat Cole, p; Oscar Moore (1-15), Irving Ashby (16-18), g; Johnny Miller (1-15), Joe Comfort (16-18), b; Jack Costanza, bongos, conga (16-18)
- Orange Stomp 3:05 Wills, Bob Western 1 of 1 1 of 40 The Very Best Of Goldenlane
- Nutty 5:04 Monk, Thelonious Jazz 4 of 9 Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall Blue Note – Thelonious Monk, p; John Coltrane, ts; Ahmed Abdul-Malik, b; Shadow Wilson, d. Recorded by VOA 29 November 1957
- Tea for Two 3:37 Takase, Aki / Rudi Mahall Jazz 1 of 1 4 of 14 Evergreen Intakt – Rudi Mahall, bass clar.; Aki Takase, p. Recorded 4 & 5 July 2008, AudioCue Berlin.
- Black coffee 3:42 Granz, Norman Jazz 9 of 10 25 of 25 The Complete Jazz at the Philharmonic on Verve 1944 -1949
- Jellybeans 3:55 Kessel, Barney jazz 8 of 9 Solo Concord – Recorded April 1981, Coast Recorders, San Franciso.
- Sippin’ At Bells 4:08 Braxton, Anthony Jazz Miles Davis 2 of 2 9 of 10 Charlie Parker Project 1993 Hat Art – Anthony Braxton, as, sopranino & contra b cl; Ari Brown, ts, ss; Paul Smoker, t; Misha mengelberg, p; Joe Fonda, b; Han Bennink (CD1)/Pheeroan AkLaff (CD2), d. CD1: Zurich, 21 Oct 1993; CD2: Köln, 22&23 Oct 1993.
- We Free Kings 4:47 Kirk, Roland Jazz 7 We Free Kings Mercury
The Station Website
The WNUR website is in the process of being updated (the old version worked, but was tough to update and so was perennially out of date), but sadly they have brought up a barely functional version of the new site which is currently almost devoid of content and breaks all the old links. I’m sure that eventually everything will get squared away and all will be well, but there is no ETA for that at the moment. When they fix things I will update links here accordingly.
As always, this is the definitive place for my own playlists, so if you are looking to see exactly what I played this is the only place to come until they get WNUR playlist function working right.
WNUR’s annual Phoneathon fundraiser runs February 18-25 this year. Your support helps the all volunteer staff of WNUR bring you the kind of music you won’t hear elswhere. Pledge by calling (847) 491-WNUR. There are plenty of fine premiums as thank you gifts for your